Tuesday

A Handful of Cherries


This is not your typical cherries found in the groceries stores during the summer, these are
Barbados Cherries. However don't be fooled by the name, these cherries not only grow in Barbados, but widely throughout the Caribbean and South America. Growing up these were the only cherries I knew of and I was overjoyed to finally be able to eat them again from my own little cherry tree. Barbados Cherries perish quickly once picked so you will not find often find these for sale. I've own my cherry tree for three years now, it's scraggly and wierd looking, but it hasn't failed to provide me cherries. I attribute the appearance to the fact that I am growing it in a container and inhibiting some of it's development, but I just don't have the yard to really put down roots. Barbados Cherries are an excellent source of Vitamin C, some varieties are extremely tart and while others are sweet, thankfully the fruits on my tree are the sweet type.

No comments:

Post a Comment